Tears Of A Champion: Jordan Burroughs Loses Bid For Second Straight Olympic Gold Medal

Due to a random draw, the No. 1-ranked Burroughs, who came in considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound wrestler in the world, faced a formidable opponent in the quarterfinals. Russia’s Aniuar Geduev, ranked No. 2 in the world, defeated Burroughs 3-2, giving him a bloody cut on the forehead in the process.

Burroughs, 28, was then in the uncomfortable position of pulling for Geduev to advance to the final, which he did, putting Burroughs into the repechage. However, Burroughs lost convincingly to No. 10 Bekzod Abdurakhmonov of Uzbekistan 11-1, and suddenly the Games were over for him.

“This is supposed to be my year,” Burroughs almost whispered, a tear streaking down his cheek. “This is supposed to be my breakthrough performance, cementing me as a legend in the sport. And I almost retracted my position in the sport. It hurts me. It hurts a lot, man.”

Popular posts from this blog

Duel with yourself." The film about Alexander Karelin claims TEFI-2017

Rising Nigeria female wrestler

Nigeria wrestling federation protest against oburodudu bronze medal match